Thursday, February 14, 2008

It's Heart Day! Love Always...Always LOVE...

I know we are not through commenting on the last set of responses; please continue to respond to the last post and poems. I planned to post today, so I could share some of the love poems that have become my favorites. If you are looking for a great gift of love poetry to give your beloved, which of course could simply be YOU, The Gift written by Hafiz and translated by Daniel Ladinsky is the way to go. This book offers so much love and I love it so much. I've been reading this book since about the year 2001 and it is definately on my MUST list. Giving this book, The Gift, as a gift has given me such a gift of sharing - spreading the words of love and healing. There are so many more writers who are my favorites for love poetry. Especially those of you who are new to appreciating poetry, find the poetry section in the book store or library and immerse yourself. Find the words and writers, which can bring inspiration, tears and joy. There are so many combinations of words and sentences, syntax and form. A vast myriad of love expressed for our pleasure.

Ok. How about some love poetry? I'll put down a few of mine here. Sometimes I am writing about the love of my life and sometimes I am writing about my own love essence. I love love. Enjoy.

#1

the Beloved, thank G-d
understands the smell of
Rose and Jasmine
the curve of the trembling
lip
opened mouth
head arched back
ecstasy of Soul
Spirit
Body
Psyche
a moment of coming together

of absolute abandon

of complete balance
of release
into my essence
vitality spilling outward
passion spiraling
hot in my belly
daring me to be really me
risking my adventure home
grounding me
transcending earth
filling me with Joy
Laughter and
Love


#2 A For Real

Flashing sparkling eyes
Blinking up and seeing clearly
Into yours, finding –
Me in the reflection!
Giggling from the inside out…
A delicate tingle transmuting cells,
Awakening energy;
Oxygen breathing into nooks and crannies.
Holding these feelings precious…
Allowing them to linger
In between
Times when I get to flash my eyes
Into yours again
And refill.




#3 thank you

your venison stew
that’s what did it for me
broth so thick and sweet
potatoes perfectly cooked
carrots still firm like I like
venison tender
delivered hot and fresh
with kindness and feeling
what an unexpected pleasure




#4 evolution of the moon

a gentle and creative lover
the full moon engages the
water
causing a shimmering
reflection
shuddering with delight
intimacy creating a
rippling rhythm
revealing truth and
beauty
exposing vulnerable passion
loving the vitality
experiencing the
sacred

and we
are
dancing
underneath
that moon




#5 like riding a bike

so he kissed me.
and i kissed him.
on the lips
full and soft lips.
this is what i remember
i turned because my friends had hugged and kissed his friend
i was glad because that meant
i could hug and kiss charlie
we went down the line and i was last
a quick hug for his friend and i turned
it was like a dance move
the grace with which he pulled me out of
that embrace
(or was it his eyes)
curling me into his arms
he pulled me to him and pulled me tight
against him and
it was then
against him
face to face
his lips
met my lips
and he kissed me
and i kissed him
on the lips full and soft
this is what i remember
his gentle hand firmly on my back
so I wouldn’t fall





#6

breathing deeply
i will
find a melody within my inner spirit
a harmony within my humanness
love myself dearly
brightly reflect the love I receive
replenish the love I spend
work through whichever piece of my story calling out
journey into the unknown
RISK
ALL
to become more
genuine and
WHOLE
Empower My Being
it is my time
it is my responsibility
it is my joy

with commitment
with honor
i gift myself
with me
and in such
i gift myself
with you
remembering our
beloved friendship


Love & Peace


Breathe in the Love. Write your own love poems. Allow yourself to love yourself, your essence, your God, your lover, your spouse, your mother, your child, your passion, your favorite thing, something. Love something as you write.

As you send your poems to my email, realize I do not even really look at them until I post them on Monday morning. I want the effect of us reading in the room. One following another. To respond to each person separately is a great idea so that you can really read and appreciate each piece. For now - READ; BREATHE; WRITE; LOVE!

Always Love,
Petee


Remember you may still post comments on the last prompt...and put March 8 on your calendar to come together to write at Solutions for a Soul Writing Saturday Workshop!

12 comments:

Evening Star said...

Peetee, those are so beautiful!

Petrina McGowen, MA, MFT, RDT said...

Only two submissions from my loving soul writers? Send today for posting this afternoon/evening!
Remember Love! Always Love! WHATEVER the prompts trigger or spring is right to write! WHATEVER!!!
Always love from me,
Petee

Evening Star said...

What's going on in here? Where is everyone?

Terrie said...

I think Petee was waiting for people to send the to her.
Petee just go ahead and post. People can add there's to it.
It is easy to write about the angst and pain for me, it is what I have known for a long time. Love is new. It is very new.....
Maybe I should write about that.

Petrina McGowen, MA, MFT, RDT said...

So, my friends, the offerings for this last prompt are sent in from Joellen and Terrie. For those of you who don’t like sending your work to me first, now is the time to post, so we can discuss and ooh and ahh over each other’s writings.

From Joellen:

"Futile Destiny"

I in my world,
You in yours.
A continent
and an ocean of time
(and oh, don't forget
those binding ties)
Keep us apart.

In our fledgling days,
Something in your soul
Touched something in mine.
Your soul
Touches mine
Today.
Mere babes we were then;
We knew not
How to read the signs,
And so, a lifetime passed us by.

You found me
After all those silent years
Decades, ages,
A lifetime.
(And although I told myself
It was just for old time's sake,
I knew.
I knew).
For years then,
We wrote our lives, events,
Adventures, stories, hardships...

And between those polite and careful lines,
I saw the truth.
I saw the truth in the dots
That peppered your sentences,
In the things you left unsaid.
Weeping secret, desperate tears
For something precious lost,
Still, I refused to see.

Through the years,
I felt the whisper
Of your mother's
Spirit voice:
"In the time before
I nurtured him under my heart,
We made the choice
For me to depart.
Help him know
I was duty bound
To leave his world.
Help him ask
The questions;
Guide him
Through his pain,
Help him know
It's not his fault
I'm gone."
She hovers close,
Always.
I feel her.

We walked through the fire of your loss,
And in the ashes,
There we found your mother.
You quenched the burning embers
With your tears.
I cried with you.
And you learned.
And you healed,
And your soul evolved.

Within my heart,
Your mother whispered,
"Love my precious child
Appreciate the beauty of his soul."
She need not have begged.
I already loved you.
To my horror and my shame
I loved you.

Rivers of tears shed,
Water slipping through fingers, we are.
Impossible. Impossible.
We promised them our lives.
No turning back.
No reclaiming
The opportunity
We let slip by.

No touching.
No seeing.
No scent of you do I breathe,
Yet night and day you are with me
And I with you.

The Universe says
This is perfect.
I know I must trust it
To be so,
And yet...
The pain,
The pain.
The stages of grief.
Where are we now on the scale?

The rich tones of your voice fill my being.
The beautiful words you write
Sear through me.
You see me,
And through your rosy glasses,
You understand.
You love me
As no one ever has.
I see you,
I understand you
In a way you did not dream existed.
And still...
There is no way in;
No way out.

You are my joy, you are
My pain.
My sustenance
My sorrow
You hold my heart
And I hold yours.
You are my Angel
I am your Hope.
We exist in our alternate universe,
The youandme universe,
Of promise and bright stars
And resignation.
And we are hopeless.



And Terrie writes:

Love

Mother Ocean
Ricky
Zachary
Sunsets
A good belly laugh
Circus Peanuts
Fried Chicken
Loud Music
Marshmallow Cream
Diet Coke
Universal Laws
Jetski
Cereal and Milk
Gumbo
Sandals
T-shirts and shorts
Island living
Teaching
Learning
World Cultures
Peace
Competition
March Madness
Football
Long Walks on the beach
Attending Plays
Dancing
Traveling
Campfire
The color purple
Reading Non-fiction
Duke Basketball
Homemade Banana Pudding
Being silly
Great Conversation
Diversity
Abstract Art
Eclectic Music
Will and Grace
Family
Friends
Smirnoff Ice – Watermelon
Carmel
Homemade Soup
Vanilla Latte
Computer
Cell Phone


A second from Terrie:

March Madness - 1999

The pain was unbearable
A pain I had never experienced before
Please take him out of me
I was given the most modern of drugs for pain
I was given pitocin to hurry the process along
The room was warm
The television was on and I could see the game
The doctor came in to examine me
I asked her to move to the side, because I could not see the game
It was Duke and Michigan St. in the NCCA tournament
The doctor said, “PUSH”
I could not feel anything below my waist
I thought I was pushing
The doctor again said, “PUSH”
Again I though I was pushing
The heart monitor was showing a low heart rate
I was told to get on my hands and knees
The doctor rubbed my back and belly
I lay back in the birthing position with feet in stirrups
The doctor again said, “PUSH”
I could not feel if I was pushing or not
The heart monitor once again was showing a low heart rate
I was told again to get on my hands and knees to breathe
The doctor again rubbed my back and belly
I turned over and back in birthing position with feet in stirrups
The doctor again said, “PUSH”
I tried with all my might
Nothing happened
I was taken to the OR to have a cesarean
Ricky was suited up and ready to go
I was awake through the whole procedure
I felt pressure on my lower abdomen
I could see them pull him out of the opening
He was red with fluid all over him
He looked like an alien – a being
He was still connected to me
They lifted him to me
He cried
The doctor asked Ricky to cut the cord
When he stood up he became dizzy and sat back down immediately
He cut the cord
Our son was free
He was swaddled in a tight bundle and handed to me
I gave him his first kiss on the head
The doctors and nurses attended to sewing me up
He was small and soft
All ten toes and fingers
Perfect – he was
His father and I laughed at his cone shaped head and red hair
We both immediately saw that he looked like has father’s father
There was warmth in the room
A bonding
Father and Son
Mother and Son
Father – Mother and Son
Family
The decision to circumcise
Pros and Cons
It was done
I looked painful
He did not cry
He healed quickly
The naming process
I wished to name him March Madness Zachary Hui
NO! NO! NO!
What kind of name is March Madness?
It was my love
Now he was my love
Okay
Compromise
Zachary Bertram (English – A yacht brand – the name of the B&B of our honeymoon)
Fong Wai (the next line of names in the Hui clan poem in the village in China where the Hui clan started)
Welcome my son, Zachary Bertram Fong Wai Hui.
You are my heart and soul
And
I LOVE YOU!!!




It is so much easier to write about the angst. When I first fell in love, I thought I had lost the passion for long winding poetry that expressed my deepest angst. I feel now that I can and do write of my love. It is different, maybe not even quite as satisfying...yet isn't it just as important to express that feeling of great and good? And who says love is comfortable - isn't that what you are saying, Terrie? And so much of our love yearnings are underneath our realities, unexpressed, unresolved, unconsumated. Right Joellen? All of that is right to write. Important to write. Remember, whatever a prompt triggers for you, write about that.
Enjoy and Express!
Love Always,
Petee

Emily said...

Hello everyone! Just wanted you all to know I have not even read the prompts yet, but I will (hopefully) have time tonight! It is a crazy time in school and at home, but I haven't forgotten you! Petee, I don't mind sending you the things to post, it is just one less thing I have to do!! Thanks and love

Emily

Petrina McGowen, MA, MFT, RDT said...

Emily sent this :

My Love

No flowers on Valentine’s Day
No tears fell
My little ‘valentines’ entwine my feet
As I move about the house
Kennedy is all smiles
Valentines from boys not in her class
Dad and I not sure
to smile or not
Years have tumbled by
It is no longer the fluffy romance
Candles, flowers, sexy silks
Nope
Heating blanket
Furry slippers
In bed by 9
That’s my style now
Around 10 he comes to bed
I reach out over the king-sized dessert
He touches my hand
We smile
Love

Terrie said...

Joellen what an awesome Poem.
'Something in your soul
Touched something in mine.'
Does this mean soulmates?

Writing about love is so hard. The words are unknown, foreign, and awkward.

Terrie said...

Emily - thanks for jumping in- sexy silks! I like I like!
I am going to Hong Kong this summer and looking forward to buying some sexy silk. :)

Emily said...

I loved both of your writings. I think naming your child March Madness would have been a unique journey through life. And circus peanuts mmmmmm

Weeping secret, desperate tears
For something precious lost,
Still, I refused to see.

Just so touching. Love is not always happy bouncing off the walls. It cries and hurts too. Just a beautiful image.

On a complete off note here, my 5 y/o just received her first phone call from a boy. He's 5 too. WOW. I cannot imagine this. Young love? So many different levels.

Love....Emily

Evening Star said...

Terrie, as we discussed in person I especially loved your childbirth piece.
And Emily, I know the feeling; I live in the fuzzy slippers world myself...yet another form of love.
But my heart is in sexy silk.
Yes, Terrie, I do mean soulmates.
I don't find it at all hard writing about love. Thank you for your kind words. You too, Emily.
Emily I would hope 5 is not young love; perhaps they are "just friends."
Thank you Peetee
Love you guys,
J

Terrie said...

Oh My! I was just talking with my colleagues about what children know at what age. My poor Zachary age 8, has been sheltered. He will tell me mom I called a girl the "S" word, because she is calling me "China Boy." I asked him, Zach, what is the "S" word? He says, "Stupid."
I have six graders in my class talking about sex and bjs in their note passing. OH MY! I am not looking forward to the day in which the conversation will happen with Zachary. I am just now beginning to learn that it is okay to speak about such matters. YIKES!!